President Obama has officially proclaimed October 2016 as National Arts and Humanities Month (NAHM). It is a nation-wide collective recognition of the importance of culture in America. How are you celebrating National Arts & Humanities Month?
You can do many things to share your passion and also promote yourself as an artist at the same time.
In the midst of being assaulted by incessant divisiveness in our nation we need this collaborative celebration more than ever. It offers us a wonderful opportunity to join other art enthusiasts and send a positive message throughout the world.
“The Arts Reflect Our National Soul” – President Obama
In a recent proclamation President Obama stated, “In seeking to break down barriers and challenge our assumptions, we must continue promoting and prioritizing the arts and humanities, especially for our young people. In many ways, the arts and humanities reflect our national soul. They are central to who we are as Americans—as dreamers and storytellers, creators and visionaries. By investing in the arts, we can chart a course for the future in which the threads of our common humanity are bound together with creative empathy and openness.”
How You Can Celebrate NAHM & Promote Your Art
Show your appreciation for the many creative individuals who contribute to the well-being of our society. Share your passion and enthusiasm for being an artist in any way you can, while also promoting yourself and your art.
- Hold an art event such as a an Open Studio event in honor of this occasion.
- Unite with other artists across all creative disciplines for a multi-media celebration online or in your town.
- Take a friend, relative or neighbor to a museum, play, or concert.
- Present a class in drawing, painting, collage to share your special talents with members of your community.
- Unveil a new art series and promote it on social media.
- Write a special post about NAHM on your art blog.
- Create a video about your art and what the arts mean to you and post it on YouTube.
- Inaugurate a public art project with children or teens.
- Offer art for therapy in a hospital, orphanage or senior residency.
- Write about another artist on your art blog.
- Write to your member of Congress, letting him/her how important arts and arts education funding is to you, your family and your community.
Americans For The Arts Is Inviting Artists to Join The Celebration
The mission of Americans for The Arts is “to serve, advance, and lead the network of organizations and individuals who cultivate, promote, sustain, and support the arts in America. Connecting your best ideas and leaders from the arts, communities, and business, together we can work to ensure that every American has access to the transformative power of the arts.”
Americans For The Arts has launched a #ShowYourArt social media campaign designed to engage arts advocates on local, state, and national levels. They are inviting individuals and organizations to share images on Instagram. Tag @americans4arts and use #showyourart. They will repost some of their favorites throughout the month.
Every day a different subject is promoted, as listed on the calendar below.